Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Created by Him and For Him

“consider that as one of its most important purposes, stewardship of creation should sustain nature’s worshipping capacity. The more I reflect on the Scriptures and the more I sense how God thrills to the adoration He receives from all that He has created, the more I realize that He has given us the awesome responsibility of caring for His creation so that it can go on praising Him until the end of time.”
Tony Campolo
How to Rescue the Earth Without Worshipping Nature

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
Col 1:15-17


I’m sure you’ve noticed how precise you have to be when you type an internet password or address—everything can be exactly right but put a period in the wrong place and you come up with a white page, nothing. God’s creation is far more exacting and intricate than all the puzzle pieces of computers and the Internet. Even the “simplest” bacteria contain 100,000 million atoms—far more complex than anything humans have ever made. One human cell contains more information than a thirty-volume set of encyclopedias--an intricate artistry far beyond writing “the Lord’s Prayer” on a grain of rice!

My husband has often said to me, “Your art is not you.” That’s true, it’s not. But it’s my expression of who I am and how I see things so I feel undermined if my paintings are treated roughly. Jesus whom we Christians say we value and worship above all others, made these wonders of the heavens and earth. While he is separate from his creation, he made it as an expression of who he is and how he sees things. How can we say we love and serve him yet treat his intricate and wondrous art roughly?

(Thanks to Rick Watkins for the scientific information)

No comments: